Pacific Ring Weave

spark, I am very curious to stay informed about your project. I am also bit hesitant to disclose some of my ideas and developments in an open forum. Please keep me in the loop if you decide to move to a private forum.

As for me, I’ve reached out to the local recycling exchange on my island. The good thing about being on an island is we have the most expensive dumping fees in the state so there is a culture of reusing old things. People can pay the exchange $5 to take their car tires, or they can just link people directly to me to take the tires so they don’t have to be stored. Currently waiting to see hear how much inventory they have.

I’m not sure how big of a demo project I’ll be able to get away with, but we’ll see.

I am planning to stay on a public forum too. I will disclose some information
on public forums too. I would like to know about your project too.

My next thing is to get on water with a 21’ sailboat, using a trailer.

i was thinking recently chinese goverment has abandoned serveral US waste material importing including plastic material, so why not for the floating island to import these and use it as the basic floating material after some mechanical machining? also it could be an industry for the city , make money and expand

Our project is in South America, but even in the US Access to plastic waste is not very affected by politics. What is affected by that is the building itself, of anything, that is why we believe the first large floating islands will have a better chance outside US jurisdiction.

We have used the Venice model a lot as example, which if explored, is very similar to the Hong Kong / Mainland model. Imagine as many offshore island city as necesary, easily linked to the mainland.

Yes, it is a good idea, why not.

“industry for the city”

No city yet.

The key here is “after some machining”

In south america you have actually a profession that is called “recyclist” who is a person who goes to the waste dump pulls out the desired material by hand and loads it on a truck.

Once on the truck it is “selected industry raw material” not waste anymore…

This was the base process for the "poor man´s floating island project we did …

the man is standing on a real floating island that is solid like a foamblock - not a pile of trash held together with some kind of net.

You can build a house on that and it will float for hundreds of years - no water soak up - no deterioration in decades…

cost per real estate squaremeter (for the builder in Colombia) USD 20/ square meter (and the limits of the technology are not reached yet)…

The floating rock is a material that uses composite technology | very light | very tough | never soaks up water | UV resistance no plastic has |

it is very easy to build something like this from it - and take it from there…

i agree your floating rock is perfect, but it require people to bought it
what my idea is you got the material not just free but earn some money

and for plastic machining, i saw many such factory in china, they just using water to wash the waste and then heated, finally make the heated and soft plastic into plastic cube(small one), now from this cubes, you could build any materials that help you expand and float

I know very little about what China is today.

Yes, and he mentioned the floating rock BUILDING BLOCK as a much more advanced version of the Poor Man’s Floating Island material. Both (and more) are in play.

@spark as the specific Pacific version of tire ring weaving develops this thread can be split, for now I believe the public benefits from reading about the underlying approach, the commonalities and differences with advanced composite materials.

OK, so about ringweave:
It is a new thing. There are not many descriptive words for parts of the ringweave.
I would like to introduce some intellectually arrogant nomenclature.

May be, I will just call it ringweave dictionary.

I will think up some terms, and will see if it gets consensus.

Rinweave is woved from rings. Rings are made of car tires buy cutting off the
sidewalls of the tire. Each tire has two sidewalls.

Ringweave dictionary:

“cut off sidewalls”

Ringweave dictionary:

“rings”

:DSCF0205

In this picture the rings are folded into each other for smaller storage space.
But it might be still understandable what the rings are.
Rings are what left after cutting off the sidewalls of a tire.

Ringweave dictionary:

“strip cut half rings”

It is possible to cut a ring half to produce two loops.
Butty Manufacturing calls it strip cutting. They use the TC100 machine to strip cut.
https://youtu.be/44gOqWQIc8k

I used a reciprocal saw.

This picture shows two strip cut half rings linked to each other.

Ringweave dictionary:

" strip cut quoter ring"

It is possible to further cut a strip cut half ring into two half loops.
Half of the half makes a quoter.

Ringweave dictionary:

“link”

Strip cut quoter rings can be linked into each other.

Ringweave dictionary:

“linked line”

Multiple strip cut quoter rings can be linked into a line:

Here are machines you can buy to cut tires:

Sidewall remover only $4100 :slight_smile:

First part of this video shows the sidewall cutter in use.

Ring weave dictionary: “woven sheet”

A flat ; 2 dimensional sheet like object could be called a woven sheet.